Angostura: A completed project for me!

I’ve been on a finishing binge this week. I was starting to wonder if I’d ever get half the projects on my needles completed, but things seem to be coming together nicely.

I have a couple of ongoing big picture knitting projects. The first is the design work where I’m moving from developing patterns for my personal use, to putting the patterns out there for public consumption. More on that in another post because I have a couple of patterns I’m just about ready to share. The second project is the garments I’ve been working on for myself. The garments project has been about creating wardrobe staples that are classic, beautiful, and  will hopefully be worn for years to come. The focus is on customizing designs, in both design and fit, for me.

Over the last year, I collected some yarn for garment knitting. I have some bulky beige Berocco Weekend Chunky, Universal Yarn’s Renew Wool in Lichen, and Berrocco Ultra Alpaca in Chocolate that I purchased because I loved the yarns and know they are what I would like to have garments made of in my wardrobe, but I haven’t selected patterns or really begun any work on them. With this now completed vest, I’ve made three garments over the last 9 months. The other two projects were the Eco Wool Sweatershirt and the charcoal colored Cacoa cowl-neck sweater.This third project is a slightly modified Angostura vest by Ysolda Teague.

DSCN0129

I already listed some of the things I really liked about the pattern two weeks ago in a work-in-progress post. Having finished the pattern, I can say I still really like the layout Ysolda Teague uses in the Little Red in the City book. This whole filling in the numbers for your size, instead of selecting the size is genius. Not having to circle or highlight stitch counts or lengths, but filling them in to blanks in the pattern is really nice.

DSCN0138

The back cable is what really drew me to the pattern and I’m so pleased with the outcome. I was a little worried about the length and having the cable hit just right on the small of my back, but the fit of the sweater overall and the placement of that cable are perfect.

DSCN0134

The front is where I made my modifications and the mods are basically just  not doing the cable patterns. I didn’t like the front lower cabling. When I was selecting a pattern, the back cable drew  me in but the front cables did nothing for me so I debated for a couple days before deciding to purchase the book. In addition to the back cabling, I love the neckline and shape of the vest and I’m so glad I went with this pattern.

This is the first garment I’ve knit with the Cascade 220 Superwash yarn. Knit up, the midnight heather color has these great undertones of purplish and pinkish colors that add dimension to the dark blue. It’s also very soft and has great drape. I haven’t tried washing it yet, but I’m hoping that it maintains the color (read: doesn’t bleed or fade) and soft feel. The only downside to this yarn is that it comes wound in these almost disc-shaped skeins that can be center pull, but the disc shape is really floppy and loose so the skein loses it’s shape and falls apart on you when you’re halfway through the yarn. I ended up rewinding the yarn into balls and putting it in a bowl while knitting. It just seemed easier after the first two skeins fell apart to rewind the yarn.

Overall, I’m really pleased with the yarn, pattern, and final garment. Fully recognizing that it’s 90 degrees and humid here in Baltimore, you should still expect to see me wearing this to work sometime in the near future.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Angostura: A completed project for me!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s